The Upper Albany neighborhood is one of Hartford up and coming neighborhoods offering historic housing, shopping, and restaurants. The neighborhood is dominated by large historic two and three family homes and includes two wonderful historic streets, Burton Street and Deerfield Avenue.
Today the neighborhood is experiencing a rebirth with much investment into community facilities. It is home to Artist Collective and new University of Hartford Arts Center. Community and business organizations are working to make Albany Avenue a destination for shopping and entertainment.
Albany Avenue, which dissects the neighborhood, is one of the oldest roads in the state, having been laid out in 1678 as The Talcott Mountain Turnpike which eventually extended from Providence to Albany, New York. For much of its time, there was a fee to travel the turnpike, and taverns were strategically located as overnight accommodations for the pedlars and others who moved along the route at the rate of less than ten miles per hour.
From colonial days until the end of the 19th century, Upper Albany was primarily farmland. Throughout most of the 19th century, James Goodwin, a railroad and insurance magnate, owned much of the property along Albany Avenue.
In 1927, Hartford's oldest and largest Conservative congregation, Emmanuel, completed a synagogue on Greenfield street. A year later, Agudas Achim, an Orthodox congregation first organized in 1887 by a group of Rumanian Jews, dedicated their synagogue nearby.
After World War II, the number of African-Americans in the neighborhood increased while other groups declined. Today, the neighborhood is predominantly African-American, Puerto Rican and West Caribbean residents.
Neighborhood description provided by Studio O'Maxfield.